ƵƬ

Dominicans

The Dominicans were founded by St Dominic Guzman in 1206. His Order of Preachers fought error with truth and founded and inspired many of the great European universities.

The first Dominican nuns, although leading a contemplative life, accepted converts and the daughters of noble families into their monasteries and educated them. The sisters first came to the Glenorchy parish and Holy Name College in 1959. The Dominicans believe that education leads to the realisation that the deepest truth is faith in God's presence in their lives. Although there are no longer Dominican Sisters teaching at ƵƬ, their interest remains strong. Sr Pam and Sr Mary are neighbours and regularly attend College celebrations and community festivities.